Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Big Day Out: Saskatoon

I've been back in Canada for almost a year now and was supposed to be leaving to return back to Japan next month.  Due to circumstances out of my control, unfortunately this won't be happening.  I don't see any travel plans in the near future because of health problems and for anyone who knows me, this is pretty much my version of hell.  As someone literally addicted to travel and who was/is seriously considering trying to make a career out of it in the near future, this has been pretty tough and no one quite understands this feeling quite like other like-minded individuals.

But then I got to thinking as to exactly what it is about travelling I love so much.  It isn't about going to exotic locations where you don't understand anything.  Nor is it about jumping on a plane or lying on a beach or spending a ton of money.  It can be these things, but it doesn't have to be.  Last summer, I went travelling in Canada for the first time in my life (well, the first time that it was just for the sake of travelling, rather than going to visit someone or in transit to somewhere else).  For the longest time, I wasn't interested in seeing my own country, simply because it wasn't different enough.  But as I've travelled more, I've realized travelling is about seeing something new, even if it means going to a festival or museum in your hometown you've never gone to or a restaurant with different cuisine you've never tried.  How many people actually go sightseeing around where they're from (I mean unless you're a Parisian, hopefully you've hit up the Louvre!).  When I left Europe, I realized I didn't really do much local sight seeing in any of the four locations I'd lived, so I made an effort to change that when I lived in Japan.  It's too easy to get caught up in daily life and it's always nice to know a little about the place you're currently calling home.

So a few weeks ago, when I found out the Western Development Museum in Saskatoon (where I currently am) was holding a free day, my broke ass was pretty excited!  And even doubly excited when I found out there was also a winter festival with ice sculptures on in the city!

The Western Development Museum has four branches around the province, yet this is the first time I've ever been to one.  The point of the museum itself is pretty self explanatory: it records the early and ongoing development of the province, with each branch focusing on something different (ie. agriculture, economy, transportation, or people).  The museum also offers short courses in things like blacksmithing.  There really is something for everyone.  Admittedly, I was pretty bored at the beginning; it was just like walking through my dad's shop at the farm, full of old horse harnesses and the like.  But once I learned the 'Boomtown' exhibits were actually old buildings from the early settler days, I was a little more impressed.  There's also a huge display of vintage cars and farm equipment, as well as more modern exhibitions, which made me feel pretty old.  I was particularly interested in the section on the Dirty 30's and anything after that, as it reminded me a lot of stories I heard growing up.


This free day was actually part of the city's Heritage Festival, but a little internet research dug up the fact that this year marks 65 years of the Western Development Museum in the province, and as such, anyone turning 65 this year gets free admission on their birthday, as well as a gift.  As well, to mark the anniversary, on Sunday, April 6, 2014, admission will only be 65 cents.

The second part of our big day out was taking in the ice sculptures near the Farmer's Market which were part of the PotashCorp WinterShines Festival.  This festival goes on for just over a week at the end of January, right in the dead of a prairie winter, when we all need cheering up the most!  This was the first time I've been to it, and found out about it just before it was finished for another year.  There's a soup cook off, ice park and sleigh rides for the kiddies, and all sorts of other fun wintery events.


All in all, it was a great day and did the job of curing the winter blues, even if just for a few hours.  I'm here until at least August, but if there's one time of year I do love in Saskatoon, it's the summer.  For such a small city, it really does have a lot of great festivals: the Fringe Festival, the Jazz Festival, Taste of Saskatchewan, Shakespeare on the Saskatchewan, and of course Folk Fest, just to name a few...I'm
looking forward to it!


No comments:

Post a Comment