Thursday, November 1, 2012

There's a name for it!


Every now and then, I think of 'settling down'.  Having spent a little more than half my 20's outside of Canada and no plans of stopping anytime soon, this is probably one of my worst nightmares.  Maybe I should rephrase that to settling down in Canada is a nightmare of mine, considering I've pretty much settled down in Japan.  This is the longest I've ever stayed in a foreign country, job, or apartment.  Besides getting knocked up, I literally cannot think of something worse than getting a stamp in my passport that would cause me to not be able to leave Canada ever again (I apparently wasn't worried about this while working in multiple countries in Europe with no visa).  I had originally given myself until I was 30 to travel and then I would 'grow up'.  Well, 30 is fast approaching, in fact it's a mere 32 days away :O, so about a year ago, I decided 35 would be a better number.  Hey, a lot of working holiday/youth visas have the age limit of 35 so why not?  I'm obviously not the only one wasting my life away!

So, I wonder (and wander) a lot...what makes me different from other people?  Why are the majority of people in the 'developed' world content with the high school - university - career - marriage - babies - SUV - 3 bedroom house - 1.5 kids - family dog - 1 week vacation to Mexico every winter - lifestyle...something I dread?  Are they really content or are they just scared to live differently?  So many people have told me they wish they could live their life like I do, and I always have to ask, 'Why can't you?' There's more out there like me and I'm not talking the 22 year olds - fresh out of college - doing a gap year - calling themselves a traveler type.  What makes us tick?  And is there a point where it's gone too far?  Should there be 'traveler rehab'?  I'm sure my family would like to put me in it if there is!  

A few months ago, when I was starting to think there was something seriously wrong with me, I Googled 'addicted to traveling'. There were a few (but not many) results and is it turns out, there is such a thing as being addicted to travel.  In fact, there's even a name for it: dromomania! I'm sure I've Googled this before (I love Google and Googling everything) but I've never come across this word before.  It comes from the Greek dromos (running) and mania (insanity) and is also referred to as a Fugue state.  It is used to describe a person who has sudden uncontrollable urges to wander, but these bouts come with temporary amnesia. The traditional cases were almost all in France, where people would suddenly set out on foot, reaching cities as far away as Prague and Vienna.  Oftentimes, they remembered nothing of their travels, had different personalities/names/occupations and also had some other mental disorders, such as Borderline personality disorder.  There's an interesting story found here about perhaps the first ever documented pathological traveller.  In a more modern, broader sense, dromomania refers to someone who can't stop travelling, at the expense of careers, school, family, and their social life.  It can also be called 'mad travelers disease'. 

Now, I don't think I have a mental disorder (some may beg to differ), but I do find I change depending on where I am.  Simple, obvious things change, such as fashion (for example in Australia I was a hippie, here in Japan I am literally OBSESSED with Hello Kitty), but there are deeper changes.  In my younger days, I was the life of the party and now as I get older I'm more content with who I am and satisfied with my own company or just being in the background of parties. This is of course not a result of a mental disorder, but of how travelling changes a person, and helps them get to know themselves better (as cliche as that may sound, it's true).  

So I'm pretty sure I'm a dromomaniac: I get itchy feet if I'm somewhere to long, I yearn for the excitement and hustle and bustle of an airport, I've never had the same job twice, I act differently when I'm abroad, I've broken off almost every relationship to go travel, I barely ever go the same place twice, and I've definitely drank enough on many, many nights to induce temporary amnesia.  There is a certain comfort though, to returning some place you've been before, and for a traveler, sometimes going to a city you've been once or twice is almost the same as a 'regular' person coming home.  You understand the public transport, know the currency, maybe have a favourite food or someone to visit.  
 
One night while I was living in a small hostel on the shores of Loch Ness I remember having a drunken conversation about what drives a person to make a career of travelling.  My companion believed he travelled because he felt he wasn't interesting enough living back in Brea, CA, and being just like everyone else.  He travelled so he would have stories and be an interesting person.  In his own words 'It boosts my self esteem and makes me feel cool.  Plus, it's easier to get laid in a foreign country.' Ah, words of the wise.  So, to you travellers or wanna be travellers out there:  Why do YOU do it?  Why aren't you satisfied with a regular life?  Do you think you will ever stop?  If so, what would make you want to stop?  I'm still searching for my answers to these questions, perhaps that's why this blog has a billion question marks...
 


1 comment:

  1. I have a lot of fear of the mundane. The suburbs where all the houses look the same and you have to keep your grass the right height and buy a dog and have 2.3 children... *shudder* However, I like stability. Now that I also am approaching 30 (and also made a "35" resolution on certain things) I'm thinking about kids. The thing is, there are a million different ways to life your life, and just because I want kids doesn't mean I'll turn into a 50's housewife who caters to her husband's every need. For one thing, we aren't married yet! I'm going back to school to get an education degree, and I'm going to be a neat teacher! My kids will have creative activities, and we can be "that weird family" that has fun with nerdy stuff and doesn't necessarily do everything by the book. I'm terrified of the mundane, but I think the trick is to do what you want, and make the mundane fit your own exotic tastes!

    ReplyDelete